Remember yesterday when I said we were expecting Georgia to be a little warmer than mid-40s with chilly wind gusts?
Well, at least yesterday it wasn’t raining.
Truth be told, I can’t complain. Today’s elements weren’t so bad for those of us huddled under the Kennesaw State University Owls tent located on the sidelines, but the players and coaches weren’t as fortunate as they ran through this morning’s hour-and-a-half training session in persistent rain. The weather’s actually gotten worse throughout the day and as I write this blog post at approximately 4 p.m., it’s pretty miserable outside.
Luckily, early weather reports indicate this will be the worst of it during our stay in Georgia and we’re in for some decent days in the next week or so. As a bonus, we should be fine for tomorrow afternoon’s game against the Columbus Crew, with clear skies and temperatures in the lower 50s in Chattanooga, Tenn.
In preparation for tomorrow’s game, here are a few notes from today’s training session …
- In consideration of the weather, the Revolution’s injured players stayed behind at the team hotel this morning to receive treatment rather than sit on the sidelines in the rain. The quartet included Kevin Alston (L hamstring strain), Ousmane Dabo (R quad strain), Didier Domi (R knee soreness) and Kheli Dube (R ankle sprain).
- Today’s session included a blend of passing drills, possession games and small-sided scrimmages before finishing up with a full-field 11-v-11 match for 30 minutes.
- It was evident throughout today’s session how much Franco Coria loves a tackle. Perhaps it had something to do with the rain and the wet surface, but the Argentine defender was more than willing to hit the ground for a sliding challenge and did so multiple times. At least today, his timing on the challenges looked spot on.
- Today’s full-field scrimmage finished with the Blue Team claiming a 1-0 win thanks to Ilija Stolica’s close-range finish. It was rookie Ryan Kinne who provided the decisive pass while claims of offside went unheeded by the defeated Orange Team.
- The flag did go up later in the match to whistle Kenny Mansally offside just moments before the Gambian was pulled down in the box. Hence, no penalty was awarded.
- Orange almost had an equalizer when Andrew Sousa played Alan Koger into the box with a killer through ball, but Coria was on hand with a patented sliding tackle to block Koger’s attempted shot.
- There was plenty of trash talk going on at lunch this afternoon as Duke and UNC basketball prepare to square off in a critical ACC matchup tonight. With tipoff set for 8 p.m. ET, that will likely be tonight’s viewing choice for much of the club as they rest up ahead of tomorrow afternoon’s meeting with the Columbus Crew.
- You can follow tomorrow’s game via CoveritLive right here on the blog. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. ET.
- Because we have to hop on a bus and make the two-hour bus ride back from Chattanooga, Tenn., immediately after the game tomorrow, postgame coverage likely won’t be up until late tomorrow night. But rest assured, we’ll have our usual game recap, sidebar and postgame video up as soon as we can.