Just as many of you headed back to work this Monday morning, so too did the Revs with a light training session following yesterday afternoon’s 2-1 win over the Columbus Crew. Typically the players are off the day after a game, but with a rematch against the Crew scheduled for Wednesday night, it was necessary to get out onto the field and get the legs moving today.
For the first time since arriving in Georgia, the weather for this morning’s session was actually quite pleasant. It’s still unseasonably cold with temperatures in the mid-to-lower 40s when training kicked off at 10 a.m., but the sun was out in full force and there was little to no wind, making for a pretty comfortable day.
As always, here are some notes from today’s training session …
- After training twice on an adjacent practice field at Kennesaw State University, this morning’s workout took place on the stadium field. It’s a fantastic little venue. It seats approximately 9,000 fans and it should be a great atmosphere for the Revolution’s final two preseason games against the Columbus Crew (March 9) and Houston Dynamo (March 13).
- Didier Domi rejoined his teammates for a portion of this morning’s training session as he recovers from swelling in his right knee. Domi participated in the team warm-up and passing drills before finishing the session with jogging and some core exercises.
- Seven players stayed behind at the team hotel to receive treatment during today’s training session: Kevin Alston (hamstring), Ousmane Dabo (quad), Kheli Dube (ankle), Alan Koger (hamstring), Otto Loewy (ankle), Marko Perovic (hamstring) and Pat Phelan (illness). While the number likely seems high, I can assure you it’s not unusual for so many players to be carrying knocks the morning after a game.
- Today’s session was light and lasted approximately one hour and 15 minutes. It opened with some dribbling exercises to stretch the legs before moving into a few relay races as the players got their competitive juices flowing. A set of passing drills followed to complete the usual warm-up.
- The bulk of today’s session was spent playing a small-sided game of 8-v-8, with the caveat being that there was no offside rule. The Green Team rolled to a 4-0 win behind a pair of goals from Zack Schilawski and additional strikes from Shalrie Joseph and Ryan Kinne. The highlight goal was undoubtedly Kinne’s, as the rookie struck a long-range blast across the face of goal and into the upper corner.
- A bit of tactical work followed before the session wrapped up with strength and conditioning.
- Training continues with another 10 a.m. session on Tuesday before the Revs get back into game mode for Wednesday night’s rematch with the Crew. Kickoff from Kennesaw State University Soccer Stadium is set for 7:30 p.m.