I contemplated opening this blog post with another whiny rant about how cold it is in Georgia, but I don’t think it would make for very compelling reading. Here’s the abridged version of what would have been my typed tirade: Today was supposed to be beautiful with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-60s. It was not. It was very cold. And overcast. Again.
While I do “complain” about the weather in jest – I did spend 11 days in spectacular Orlando, Fla., last month, after all – it does look like tomorrow night’s rematch with the Columbus Crew will unfortunately be affected by Mother Nature. The forecast calls for rain starting overnight and increasing in force throughout the day tomorrow, with torrential downpours likely and the potential for thunder and lightning in the mix. Needless to say, weather will likely play a factor in the proceedings.
Nevertheless, the Revs spent their morning preparing for tomorrow’s meeting with the Crew. Here are some notes from today’s training session …
- Every player in camp boarded the bus to Kennesaw State University for this morning’s session, including all seven players who stayed behind at the team hotel yesterday. Upon realizing how cold it was outside, however, the athletic training staff sent Ousmane Dabo (quad), Alan Koger (hamstring) and Marko Perovic (hamstring) back to the hotel to avoid a situation in which their injured muscles could tighten up. The trio stationed themselves in the fitness room at the hotel for a brief workout.
- Kevin Alston showed progress in his quest to return from an injured hamstring as he worked off to the side with the athletic training staff during today’s session. After an extensive jog to warm up, Alston went through some light agility drills.
- After missing yesterday’s workout, both Kheli Dube (ankle) and Pat Phelan (illness) returned in a limited capacity this morning. The pair participated in the team warm-up and passing drills before splitting off and jogging for the rest of the session.
- After resuming limited participation yesterday, Didier Domi returned to full training this morning as he recovers from swelling in his knee.
- Trialist Otto Loewy returned to full participation after missing yesterday’s session with an ankle injury.
- Today’s full-field scrimmage was brief but did see a goal scored as The Blue Team claimed a 1-0 win. Fresh off his game-winning goal against the Columbus Crew on Sunday, Zack Schilawski continued to show the hot hand (foot?) with a tidy left-footed finish inside the far post from the left side of the box.
- Shooting drills wrapped up today’s session before an extensive cool-down stretch.
- The Revs will be back in action tomorrow night (Wednesday) when they take on the Columbus Crew for the second time in four days. Kickoff from Kennesaw State University Soccer Stadium is set for 7:30 p.m. and you can follow the match via CoveritLive here on the Revolution’s official blog, while we’ll have the usual postgame coverage following the final whistle.