After the players were given yesterday off to recover from Wednesday night’s frustrating loss to the Columbus Crew, the Revs resumed their normal schedule this morning with a 10 a.m. training session on the campus of Kennesaw State University.
The Revs are now in the final stages of preseason preparation as they’ll wrap up their 11-day stay in Georgia with one final training session on Saturday morning before closing out their preseason schedule against the Houston Dynamo on Sunday afternoon. There’s fantastic news on that front as the Revs-Dynamo match will be televised live on Comcast SportsNet New England at 3 p.m. Hopefully your schedule’s clear (if it’s not, clear it).
When you sit down to watch that game on Sunday afternoon, you’re going to want to be up to date on what’s happening with the team, so here are some notes from today’s training session …
- Didier Domi returned to New England on Thursday night to receive further treatment on his right knee and will not be available for Sunday’s preseason finale against the Houston Dynamo. Domi recently missed time with swelling in his right knee, but started and played 77 minutes on Wednesday night against the Crew.
- Head coach Steve Nicol had this to say about Domi: “It’s kind of a strange one. It’s not like he’s in pain or anything like that – he’s just got a bit of swelling. So we just sent him home to get a look at it and make sure he’s ready for LA.” Nicol added that he “fully expects” Domi to be ready for the season opener against the LA Galaxy next weekend.
- Ousmane Dabo, Alan Koger and Matt Reis stayed behind at the team hotel during today’s training session. Dabo (R quad strain) and Koger (L hamstring strain) are both recovering from injuries, while Reis was given an additional day off to rest in between starts on Wednesday and Sunday.
- Kevin Alston continued his recovery from a left hamstring strain by working with the athletic training staff during today’s session. Alston began the day by warming up with a light jog before going through a series of agility drills.
- Everyone else in camp took full part in today’s workout, including Marko Perovic, who missed Wednesday’s game against Columbus as a preventative measure with hamstring stiffness.
- Although the Revs didn’t play a full-field game of 11-v-11 this morning, they did play a small-sided scrimmage with an emphasis on getting the ball wide. The Blue Team claimed a 3-0 win on the strength of a Zack Schilawski double – including a penalty kick – sandwiched around a rocket from Zak Boggs.
- Most of the starters stretched following the small-sided game, while the rest of the team was put through a series of fitness and shooting drills.
- Tomorrow we’ll have a full preview of Sunday’s match against the Houston Dynamo, so be sure to check in for the final training update from Georgia.