Better late than never, right?
After more than a week of unseasonably cold temperatures and perpetually cloudy skies, the weather gods finally shined on Kennesaw, Ga., this morning. The temps have pushed into the lower-70s and there’s not a cloud in the sky, making for an ideal day here in the Northwest suburbs of Atlanta.
Most importantly, it made for fantastic conditions as the Revs conducted their final training session of their last preseason trip this morning on the campus of Kennesaw State University. Only four more training sessions remain – three in Foxborough and one in LA – before the season opener against the Galaxy next Sunday.
Of course, there is one last piece of business to attend to before returning to the Northeast, as the Revs will close out their preseason schedule tomorrow afternoon against the Houston Dynamo. Don’t forget – and how could you with how many times I’ve mentioned it? – you can watch that game live on Comcast SportsNet New England at 3 p.m. ET.
To get you up to speed on what’s going on in Revolution camp, here are some notes from today’s training session …
- Matt Reis was the only player to stay behind at the team hotel during today’s session, as the veteran goalkeeper has experienced some tightness in his back since landing awkwardly during Wednesday night’s loss to the Columbus Crew. Reis will be held out of tomorrow’s game against the Houston Dynamo as a precaution, with backup Bobby Shuttleworth taking his place between the pipes.
- Franco Coria will also be held out of tomorrow’s game against the Dynamo, as the Argentine center back experienced stiffness in his right hamstring during today’s training session.
- Head coach Steve Nicol is optimistic both Reis and Coria will be available for next weekend’s season opener against the LA Galaxy, saying this about his decision to withhold the duo from tomorrow’s game against Houston: “We don’t want to take a chance. There’s no point. We don’t get any points for tomorrow’s game.”
- Ousmane Dabo (R quad strain) and Alan Koger (L hamstring strain) continued their respective recoveries at training today. The duo began their workout with a light jog before finishing with extensive stretching, marking the first time either player was able to jog since their injuries.
- Kevin Alston continued to ramp up his workouts as he recovers from a left hamstring strain. The third-year right back opened with a jog before moving on to agility drills with the athletic training staff.
- As per usual for the day before a game, today’s training session was short in duration. After warm-ups and passing drills, the session moved straight into a brief 11-v-11 scrimmage, which finished scoreless. The session then concluded with shooting drills.
- As a final reminder, tomorrow’s preseason finale against the Houston Dynamo will be televised live on Comcast SportsNet New England at 3 p.m. ET. We’ll have a written game recap here on revolutionsoccer.net following the match, but we won’t have our typical full slate of postgame coverage as we’ll head directly from the stadium to the airport for a return flight to Boston. Never fear, we’ll be back early next week with preview coverage as the Revs prepare for next Sunday’s season opener against the LA Galaxy.